Saturday, December 27, 2025

You're Thirteen Years Old!

Dear Lila,

This past semester, you spent countless hours attending SHSAT prep classes, working on assignments and taking practice tests to prepare for the notoriously difficult exam. You also submitted applications to TWENTY-TWO public and Catholic high schools (in comparison, I only applied to a total of six colleges). On top of all that, you still had, you know, actual school, but you didn't let anything slip: You completed all of your assignments on time, scored either 100% or very close to 100% on all of your tests and earned straight A's on your report card. And if that wasn't enough, you also played on the school volleyball team, took part in an AI programming class every Sunday and were a member of the Model UN, Diversity AND Key clubs.

Whew! I got tired just typing all of that but you, my amazing girl, successfully kept all of those many plates spinning without dropping a single one. I am in complete awe of you! You work so hard, never back down from challenges and always push yourself to do your best. You were under a lot of pressure these past few months, and I know some tears were shed and nerves were shot, but you handled all of it with such grace and maturity.

You asked me a few weeks ago if I'd be disappointed if you didn't get into an SHS. Of course, I'd be disappointed--you are amazing and deserve a spot at one of the best high schools in the city. But I wouldn't be disappointed in you. I couldn't be disappointed in you. You are so smart and perceptive and you have so much drive and determination. I know you will accomplish great things no matter what school you attend.

I am incredibly proud that you are my daughter. Not only are you one of the most hardworking people I know, you are genuinely kind, respectful and helpful. You are so sweet to everyone, considerate of others' feelings and even with your massive to-do list, you still help me so much with household chores and taking care of your siblings.

I can't believe you are officially a teenager today. I miss your baby years, the days when you could fit in my lap and when you were still short enough for me to see the top of your head, haha! When I hug you now, I literally have to stand on my toes! However, I do truly love this new stage where you and I can (and often do) stay up late talking and laughing for hours. You have a lot of interesting insights and we share a similar sarcastic sense of humor, so talking to you is a lot of fun. I love that you and I also share a lot of the same interests--books, shopping for clothes and perfume, Korean skincare, going on food crawls, playing Taboo--and that we bond over those. You are no longer my baby girl but you are now my daughter who is also my friend and I am so grateful for you. Happy 13th birthday, Lilabear! I love you so very much!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment